Soup, soup, a tasty, soup soup, a spicy carrot and coriander
CRUTON CRUTON! Crunchy friends in a liquid broth!
I am gazpacho oh! I am a summer soup oh!
Miso, Miso, Fighting in the Dojo,
Miso, Miso, Oriental prince in the land of SOUP!
The Mighty Boosh
I sing the Mighty Boosh soup song every single time I make soup. I am on repeat and annoy myself and any one else in the kitchen with me at the time but I can't stop. It is like some sort of demented mantra, that goes around and around in my head - half the time I don't realise I am consciously doing it. An inane kitchen ritual. Like the collection of wishbones that grow on my kitchen window sill and throwing spilt salt over the left shoulder to blind the devil or never stirring anything with a knife. No unburnt candle wicks allowed in the house. My obsessive nature collects and ingrains these rituals and superstitions so deeply I will never not do them. Do you have any kitchen rituals or superstitions in your kitchens?
Chickpeas are an excellent source of dietary fibre, protein, manganese and folate. Use a can of drained chickpeas if you can't wait or if you are a forward planner soak 1 Cup of dried chickpeas covered in water overnight. This soup is perfect if you are after a light healthy dinner that takes less than 30 minutes to make. I often whip it up for lunch on my days off. Especially now the days are cooler and soup just seems so right.
Spicy Chickpea Soup
- 420grams can of chickpeas, drained
- knob of butter
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- Pinch of cayenne
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground corriander
- 1 Cup diced tomatoes (canned or fresh)
- 4 Cups Chicken or vegie stock
- Chopped parsleyand/or corriander
- Dried chilli flakes
- Salt and Pepper
- Goats Cheese crumbled
- handful of toasted nuts/seeds
- In a medium soup pot, lightly fry the butter together with the chickpeas, garlic, cayenne, cumin and ground corriander. Add tomatoes and stock. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Using a stick blender puree in batches until smooth. Reheat and serve seasoned with dried chilli flakes, chopped parsley, toasted nuts and crumbled goats cheese.