I have Lily Allen's "Fuck You" stuck in my head. On repeat. Probably not the most appropriate song to sing while I'm sitting at my desk at work. But I cannot shake it.
Some days it all gets terribly much and waves upon waves of what some call "blues" come crashing overhead. Detachment is the order of the day.
I find the constant small mindedness and the constant undercurrent of bigotry in some people exhausting.Or that, man made abstract concepts like budgets can be put before real physical suffering creatures, mind boggling. If I am not careful I am swept up in it all and the result is a ball of tangled nerves and despair at how ugly our society can be. Last night I felt waves of despondency begin so to ward it off, I started singing the words of Lily Allen and I baked a tart with sweet spring blueberries.
KEEP THE BLUES AT BAY TART:
BLUEBERRY FRANGIPANE TART
A short crumbly pastry, a thin layer of tart lemon curd, sweet nutty frangipane and make it rain dusky sweet blueberries.
For the Brown Butter Pastry:
(Borrowed from Michelle at Hummingbird High)
- 6 tablespoons/100 grams unsalted butter, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 3 tablespoons ice water
- 1 tablespoon raw sugar
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- a pinch of salt
- 5.5 ounces/ 150 grams all-purpose flour
For the Filling;
- 3 Tbsp Lemon Curd (you can use store bought or make your own. I use this one)
- 1 Stick/100 grams Butter, softened
- 3.5 Oz/100 grams Caster sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 Cup/100 grams Almond meal
- 1/4 Cup/40 grams plain flour
- 2 punnets of blueberries
- Extra Caster Sugar to sprinkle
1. Preheat oven to 410 (F)/ 210 degrees (C) .
2. For the pastry - Combine butter, water, sugar, oil and salt in an oven proof bowl/dish. Place bowl in preheated oven for 15 minutes. The mixture should be boiling and the butter should start browning.
3. Remove the oven and quickly add the flour a tablespoon at a time and mix quickly. Once the dough has cooled down to the touch you can flatten the dough to fit the tart pan. (Michelle says the dough should kind of feel like mashed potatoes and it will be greasy but to go with it. TRUST HER. This pays off). Once the tart pan is lined prick the base with a fork a few times.
4. Bake the tart in oven for 15 minutes or until the crust is light brown. Remove from oven and cool slightly.
5. Reduce oven to 350 (F)/180 (C).
6. For the filling - Beat the butter and sugar until pale and creamy. Add the eggs and beat well. Add the almond meal and flour and fold to combine.
7. Spoon the lemon curd onto the base and use a spatula to spread evenly. Sprinkle with a decent handful of blueberries. Spoon the almond frangipane on top and press the rest of the blueberries into it.
8. Bake for approximately 40 mins or until the frangipane is set. Cool completely before serving.